Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A Shark Lives Longer Than A Moose

In the past posts about the sharks themselves, I never mentioned how long they live. The lifespan of sharks in unknown for most species, but for some like the Great White and Whale it's 100 years. For other species like Spiny Dogfish it can even be 100 years while Moose are only 25 years hence the title for this post. In one of my other classes we're learning about Moose and I realized I never talked about the lifespan which inspired this post.


But if you want to see a table of what the lifespan is of other species of shark (which is what I did because I knew Great Whites were already rumored to live until 100), here is a link (Enchanted Learning) to an article which again shows most of it is unknown which is why shark research and funding it is so important.

Keep in mind if you do your own research on how long they live, you will see captivity lifespans for some sharks, but a lot of species of shark are not good in captivity. The perfect example of that is Great White Sharks. Every time they put those big sharks in a tank, they die in the end some not lasting long while others last for a good while. If you ask me it's because the Great White Shark needs a bigger tank so big that an aquarium can't provide for because they travel so much in their life. Also I think their ampullae of Lorenzini (I will explain later in another Fun Tip post) goes crazy which is why you hear how the Great White will bang into the glass a bunch of times. I couldn't find a video of it but found one of the first success stories I am now hearing. Shark is still alive, but not in the aquarium anymore. Check it out!

(From YouTube link here: First Great White in Captivity



I hope you enjoyed this little post, but I will start on the next group of sharks soon!
Please comment and look at the other posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment